Hey readers, so today I am headed to the Big Apple and I am so excited! I have never been to NYC before… I know kind of shocking since I love high heels. Anyways I am headed to NYC with the Global Leadership Certificate Program to present our projects to the German Innovation Center. Even though there is a long car ride ahead of me tomorrow, I am all packed and ready to go. Now packing for a work/school-related trip can be tricky because you need to have the right balance of clothes, shoes and accessories. Here’s the list of what you need to do when packing:
- Pick the small suitcase. It’s a short trip, and I always say go for the hardcover suitcases because they fit a ton!
- Pick out your business outfits. If you’re giving a presentation or need to dress in business casual or business professional, pick out what you will wear first.
- Pick out your casual clothes. Always pack one pair of jeans, cute going out tops and a casual dress if it’s warm.
- The shoes. Only ever pick heels if you have flats to wear while walking from place to place. I love heels but I hate trotting down the street block after block in them.
- Toiletries. I am picky about using hotel shampoos, conditioners and soaps. I will only ever use the hotel toiletries if I’m at certain hotel branches, because 1) I’m allergic to Dove soap and 2) again I’m picky.
- The bag. If you’re a guy, make sure you have a briefcase of some sort and if you’re a woman always have a business bag. I am currently using a Coach tote I got over winter break, but my normal business bag staple is a blue tote that only cost me $39.95 but looks like it’s worth so much more.
- Electronics. Make sure you have your laptop, iPad/tablet (if you have one), chargers, headphones, bluetooth, etc. If you forget a phone charger you will be sorry!
- Traveling outfit. I always like to look stylish and comfortable. I don’t believe in sweatpants outside of the house or the gym… I will wear yoga pants but you never know who you will meet while traveling! Especially on an airplane.
- Final check. Make sure you have everything and anything you will need. Don’t forget any medications, tylenol and your toothbrush.
Well there’s my list. My #10 item on this list is have fun. You’re going on a trip and it’s going to be great, remember that and have a great time!
So excited for the Big Apple! Eeeek!
Virgin America safety video is so entertaining and catchy 🙂
I left Ireland over a month ago… it’s strange to think I was in an amazing city working in their parliament for two months, then I just packed up my bags and headed home. I’m in a rut. I miss Dublin. I miss the city. I miss the excitement of all the people. I miss walking on streets that are older than anyone I know. I just miss it.
I didn’t travel as much as I thought I would. I didn’t feel like traveling alone to other places. See that’s the thing, when you do the independent program, it is TRULY independent. I am thankful for that. I learned so much more about myself than I could’ve imagined. I now know I love visiting Europe, but I hate touristy things. I walked by the Trinity Library, looked at the line, and continued walking. When I lived in Germany I saw many, many amazing Cathedrals, Castles, parks, etc. but now I just like to sit and watch. I find the best thing you can do in a foreign country is find a cafe, sit there and watch. Watch the people go by about their daily lives. I find it’s more interesting than the Mona Lisa any day, which by the way is super tiny. It was a total let down.
If anyone of you readers is in the post-abroad adventure rut, I feel your pain. Athens is a cool place. I don’t agree it is the most amazing place on earth like many people I know. I think I am getting to the point where I am ready to move on and graduate. Scary as that sounds I’m ready for another adventure. I have a year and a half left to make my mark on Athens. I’ll do it. Then I’ll move on. But for now I’m going to get some sleep. I suggest the same if you’re reading this right now and are feeling the same way. Otherwise, pick up a book or a journal, laptop, anything. Let it all out and get excited for what lies ahead. You’ve traveled around the globe, so who knows what amazing adventures are in store for you! I have a feeling, mine will be pretty fantastic.
P.S. I need to learn how to discipline myself better with these posts… I think I’m going to have to schedule them. “Write blog post 30 minutes before sleep.”
“Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that’s no matter–tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther…. And one fine morning– So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
-F. Scott Fitzgerald, the Great Gatsby